Hempcrete Tiny House Workshop
October 12-15, 2017
Versaland - Iowa City, Iowa 52240
hempcrete is the future
Hempcrete is applying ecology to human habitat, creating a natural composite material of hemp and lime. Hempcrete is regenerative, carbon-sinking, air-cleaning, non-toxic, insulative, and fire and pest resistant. Typically paired with timber or dimensional lumber, hempcrete is cladding, insulation, and interior finish all in one. Non-psychoactive and 100% legal, this method of construction has weathered the test of time with European hempcrete buildings over 400 years old. No other materials is as versatile across climates as hempcrete. Versaland's four-day Hempcrete Construction Workshop will give you the foundational experience to transform your regenerative future in the context of natural building on a working farm.
The only real way to understand natural building systems is to get your hands dirty. This workshop will have you mixing hempcrete, constructing and filling forms, and finish plastering. You'll learn every aspect of these natural materials and leave with the requisite skills to go build a home or structure on your own site.
Whole System Building
We'll go hands-on with off-grid heating and cooling systems. You'll touch and understand right-sized wood cookstoves for tiny homes, biodiesel, wood, and propane marine stoves, passive solar, photovoltaic, and more. Cooling systems from passive to active fans will also be discussed, from fans to heat pumps.
During your experience in this 4-Day workshop, we'll split between classroom time with experts in natural building and tiny home living, and hands-on learning sessions working with a variety of materials. You'll get to spend time amidst an active construction site of an off-grid hempcrete structure designed with artisanal floors, natural finishes, and wood heat.
A Permaculture Chef
Onsite meals lunch and dinner are included, prepared by The Permaculture Chef, Seth Peterson. Paleo, gluten-free, omnivorous, and vegetarian diets will all be accommodated. Vegans, you're out of luck and will have to bring your own meals. Breakfast is self-serve with farm-fresh eggs and fixings. All meals are 100% organic, made from local produce whenever available (much from on-site!) Seth will be cooking meals and sharing experiences at the intersection of preparing food and building community.
Camping & Lodging
A campsite is included with your registration, with minimal amenities. Shared access to power for charging phones and computers is available. Free wifi is available on site.
Hotels and Bed & Breakfasts are available throughout the Iowa City/Coralville area. Workshop location is near I-80 and easily accessible anywhere in the US.
Travel & Location
Iowa City, IA
On I-80 between Omaha and Chicago, this destination is easily accessible from anywhere in the US. If you're flying, we recommend the Cedar Rapids Airport (CID). A shuttle is available from the airport direct to the workshop site.
The Hempcrete Construction course teaches the following concepts you MUST KNOW.
- Hemp Materials You'll learn the history, biology, and processing of industrial hemp. It's non-psychoactive and 100% legal.
- Building Natural hemp, wood, clay, lime, and other natural materials will be demonstrated
- Healthy Materials learn how to source and process building materials that create cultivated health for you and your family.
- Wood Heat & Cooking Operate a variety of wood stoves from the US and Europe for heating, cooking, and hot water
- Solar Energy learn to set up a simple and functional photovoltaic power system
- Roofing Steel, clay, and wood roofing materials will all be demonstrated. No asphalt shingles here!
- Design Learn the critical elements of functional floorplans and how to use open-source software to craft your vision
- Specialized Machinery Operate machinery to mix, apply, and finish hempcrete including mixers, forms, and trowels.
- Buildings Building site selection, portable structures, and material selection.
- Foundations Foundation options including portable, piers, slabs, reinforced slabs, and advanced foundations
- Flooring Earthen plasters, polished concrete, recycled concrete, wood, tile, and composite
- Water learn the critical points of water systems, well pumps, spring development, and functional plumbing
- Infrastructure Roads, fencing, pipelines, and power. Where, why, and how.
- Soils Building, understanding, and regenerating
- Holistic Construction Management a working introduction to the management philosophy that works with nature
- Appropriate Technology learn a functional framework to apply technology for building from low tech to high tech.
- and more…
Limited Seats Available
This course is in HIGH DEMAND, and payment in full is required at registration. We are capping the number of registrations to provide equal and accessible inclusion of all course participants as they feel comfortable. If you want to build, you'll build. If you want to watch, you can watch. Course registration is non-refundable after August 12, 2017.